Originally posted by Avanar : Inventory, backpack + item required, 1-4, done
Originally posted by DerpyGamer97.S : helpful
Originally posted by Fruchu : That must be most convoluted way of binding items to hotkeys. I still don't know how to bind them after reading all of this. edit: Turn out you can't (?) bind your starting axe (cog icon doesn't appear) but for every other item you can bind it works.
Originally posted by Fruchu : That must be most convoluted way of binding items to hotkeys.
Originally posted by lizardmang : The first 4 items you pick up in a new playthrough are automatically assigned to the hotkeys, so the axe is probably already bound. To rebind an item, you need to first remove it by binding a different item to that number.
Report this post
How To Assign Quick Select
During your adventure in The Forest you will find and craft many helpful Tools, Weapons and Aid that assist you in survival—and you will be switching between them often. You may be gathering when suddenly you realize you need to quickly grab a weapon to defend yourself, or you may need to instantly consume some meds to heal damage. Whatever the case may be, Assigning your Quick Select hotkeys may be the difference between survival and being someone's (or something's) lunch.
To Assign your Quick Select hotkeys, open your Inventory. You will see everything in your possession and a Crafting Area in the center.
Highlighting your Backpack will show you what is currently assigned to your Quick Select hotkeys and which button they are assigned to.
Select Combine on your Backpack to place it in the Crafting Area.
Combine any Weapon, Tool or Aid to add it to the Crafting Area with your Backpack.
When your Backpack shares the Crafting Area with your selected weapon, tool or aid, you will see a Gear Icon with the option to Combine or Remove All. Combine the Backpack with your selected Weapon, Tool or Item.
Combining the Backpack with a weapon, tool or aid will bring up the Quick Select hotkeys in the Crafting Area. There are 4 slots to choose from and pressing the corresponding button will assign to that slot.
Your weapon, tool or aid should now be Assigned to the Quick Select hotkey you pressed, as well as appear on your Backpack in a corresponding slot.
If you Mouse over your Backpack any time, you can check to make sure that your selection has been assigned to the proper Quick Select hotkey.
Now swapping between your favorite weapons, tools and aid will be a breeze!
For more The Forest guides, check out the links below!
- How To Save Your Game
- How To Build Shelter
- How To Find the Map and Compass
And check back soon for more!
Up Next: Enemies
Top guide sections.
- How To Guides
- Items and Weapons
Was this guide helpful?
In this guide.
- View history
The controls section of the option menu allows you to change button bindings, set up gamepads/controllers, and other control parts of the game.
Input Input refers to the options that can affect controls within the game:
- Crouch Mode - Options are Hold & Toggle. Hold means the player has to hold down the button to crouch. Toggle means the player can press it, and they will crouch until they toggle is off.
- Sprint Mode - Options are Hold & Toggle. Hold means the player has to hold down the button to sprint. Toggle means the player can press it, and they will sprint until they stop or running out of stamina.
- Gamepad Cursor Mode - Options are Free and Snap
- Invert Mouse - Inverts the mouse movement. For example, left will go right and up with go down.
- Mouse X Sensitivity - Sensitivity of the mouse when moving up & down. It is changed in a percentage format.
- Mouse Y Sensitivity - Sensitivity of the mouse when moving left & right. It is changed in a percentage format.
- Mouse Smoothing - Controls the smoothing of the mouse. It adds somewhat of an 'input lag' to make the game feel more smooth when looking around. A more natural feel. It is changed in a percentage format.
- Advanced Controller Support (XINPUT) - Used for using controllers, possibly require for most gamepads such as Steam Controllers, Xbox Controllers, and PS4 DualShock controllers
Button Bindings Here's a list of all currently known keybindings for The Forest . They are listed as per the games menu. Some key bindings are not listed and are actually hidden from the player. They are listed in the category 'unlisted'.
Most keybinding, mouse and gamepad controls can be changed. If your mouse has extra buttons, they can be assigned to most functions like the lighter, inventory, survival guide etc. The blank sections in the table indicate that they are not are 'NOT SET', as in they do not have a binding
NOTE : As of The Forest 1.0, you can no longer bind actions to mouse buttons, half the binds are also gone from the menu.
Playstation 4 [ ]
Update history [ ].
- 1 Console Commands