*Application for Non-local students already expired on March 31, 2023.
Linear algebra has wide applications to diverse areas in natural science, engineering, management and social science. Instructed by university teachers, this course will provide students with the basic concept of linear structure through many concrete examples in the Euclidean spaces.
- Linear Equations and Matrices
- Vector Geometry
- Vector Spaces and Linear Transformations
- Handle matrix operations and use them in some practical problems
- Solve systems of linear equations by Gauss-Jordan elimination and also compute inverses of square matrices
- Understand the concept of vector spaces, basis, dimension, and linear transformations and compute the matrix representations of some linear transformations
- Solve some simple eigenvalue problems and apply the theory to some practical problems
- Solve some practical problems involving the least square concept
Mondays to Fridays (09:30-12:30; 14:00-15:00)
- 36 contact hours
- 50 learning hours
- Assignments + tutorials (20%)
- 1 midterm test (30%)
- 1 written examination (50%)
No supplementary tests and examination will be offered.
- For S4 or above, or Equivalent.
- An applicant should provide a list of current courses plus the examination results of the first, second and third most recent semesters.
* All discounts are NOT in conjunction with any other discounts.
- Students of non-credit bearing programmes will receive a certificate upon programme completion. Students of credit-bearing programmes can apply a transcript stated with HKU credits , please contact your home institution about the issue related to HKU credits recognition.
- You understand that you must be available for the entire duration of the programme, from the start to the end of the programme. 20% absence is allowed for emergencies or sick leave with legitimate reason and official letterhead proof for the absence. Students have the responsibility to contact the programme coordinator and/or teacher concerned about this ahead of time. No exceptions will be made, unless prior approval has been given. You are expected to be punctual for all classes and tutorials. Unexcused cases of lateness may count as absence. Students who fail to achieve an 80% of attendance or absence without legitimate reason and official letterhead proof for the absence will not be awarded the HKU Credits or the Certificate of Completion.
For Undergraduate/Postgraduate Students ONLY
Students whose first language or teaching medium in the home institution is not English are required to submit one of the following test types to prove your mastery of the English Language:
- International Baccalaureate Diploma
- GCSE / GCEO
- SAT Reasoning Test
- CET Band 4 and Band 6
- Others (e.g. a letter of reference from your institution to prove that your English ability is sufficient enough for learning and communication)
If a student’s first language or teaching medium in the home institution is English, please upload a declaration statement for our reference.
Remark(s) for English proficiency documents: Unless otherwise specified, there are no minimum score requirements for language tests, programme host will determine if the applicants are capable of the programme. Please refer to the programme page to view the specific admission criteria of programme concerned.
Applying to HKUSI
Applications for the HKU Summer Institute 2024 Summer Programmes will be available on a rolling basis in Mid-November, 2023. All applications must be completed via the HKU Summer Institute Online Application System . Undergraduate/Postgraduate and Secondary School Programmes will be conducted in face-to-face or online mode. Applicants are reminded to carefully review on the requirements of the respective programme webpage before applying.
Mid-November, 2023 (To be Announced)
10% Early Bird: January 31, 2024
For Non-local students: March 31, 2024
For Local students: May 31, 2024
*The application deadline may vary for some programmes. Please refer to the specific programme for the most up-to-date information.
To find out the specific requirements and application deadlines of individual programmes, please check the links below:
Secondary School Programmes
Your application, together with the materials submitted, will be reviewed once accepted by the system. Admission results will be announced on a rolling basis after January 31, 2024 , subject to the decision of the offering Units/Faculties/Departments. The earlier you apply, the better your chance of securing a place in the summer programmes.
An applicant should submit a complete application online before the application deadline, please prepare the following documents before you start the online application process:
- Size should not be smaller than 40 mm (W) x 50 mm (H) or 1200 pixel (W) x 1600 pixel (H)
- Image file type: PDF or JPG
- Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card
- Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macau Residents (港澳居民來往內地通行証或回鄉咭) (if applicable) for multi-location programme travelling to China
- Personal particular page of passport with validity period for at least 6 months
- Validated study visa (if applicable) Hong Kong Identity Card (if applicable)
Education and Qualification
- If these are not in English, they must be accompanied by a translation in English
- The documents must indicate: full name of school, full name of student and grading system/scale (e.g. 7=Excellent; 6=Very Good; 5=Good)
- e.g. HKCEE/DSE certificate with English Language subject result or IELTS/TOFEL result slip, etc.; or
- Declaration Form - if English is the applicant’s first language or teaching medium at home institution.
Additional Supporting Documents
Additional documents as required by individual programme(s) e.g. recommendation letter from school principal, personal statement, short essay, additional form.
- If you do not have the right of abode in Hong Kong, regardless of the length of study, you are required by law to obtain a Student Visa for the purpose of education , issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD).
- Students must to submit the Student Visa Application online, if needed, as soon as you receive a Notice of Admission from HKUSI . Please visit the following link for online application: https://www.studentvisa.hku.hk/
- The Student Visa Application process takes approximately 10 to 12 weeks upon receipt of a complete set of application documents. The actual processing time could be longer for individual cases, especially if your set of documents is incomplete.
- Upon successful application, a visa/entry permit will be granted by ImmD, which will be collected by HKU Admissions Office for onward transmission to the applicant.
- One entry permit is applicable for one programme only , and the cumulative duration of a short-term study should not exceed 180 days within any 12-month period according to the Immigration guidelines.
- For Mainland Chinese applicants , you should reserve additional 2 weeks to apply for an Exit-Entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao (EEP) (港澳通行證) and the relevant exit endorsement (逗留D簽).
- For students currently staying in Hong Kong holding a valid student visa (NOT a dependent visa) , if you are currently studying at another local university, you are not eligible to apply for any courses at HKU. This restriction is due to the conditions of your current student visa.
- Holding a valid Student Visa is important as you will be checked by the ImmD upon arrival in Hong Kong and also by HKU staff on the first day of class.
- It is the responsibility of individual students to make appropriate visa arrangement before they come to Hong Kong.
For more details, please refer to the following links:
- HKU Student Visa Application Website: Click Here
- Student Visa Application Timeline: Click Here
- Student Visa Application Procedure: Click Here
For inquiries, please contact us .
Academy for the talented – We’re searching for talents and YOU are wanted!
For Secondary School Students ONLY
Want to join the HKU Academy for the Talented Family? Students who are currently in Form 2/Grade 8 or above can submit a Talent Search application now! For more details, please visit https://talented.hku.hk/
HKU Academy for the Talented offers Summer Scholarships to the Academy members joining summer programmes offered by the HKU Summer Institute. Members who have successfully received an offer from the summer programmes will receive a scholarship which is equivalent to a 10% discount on the programme fee.
Level of Study Comparison Chart for Secondary School Students:
- When uploading the files to our Online Application System, please use the type of supporting document and your full name as the file name. (e.g. Passport LEE Tai Man Harry). The file name must be in English .
- Maximum uploading size for each file is 25MB .
- Please do not send any original documents to us by post. HKUSI is not responsible for any documents lost in the process.
- Application will only be processed after ALL supporting documents and application fees are successfully submitted to the Online Application System before the deadline.
- HKU Summer Institute (HKUSI) reserves the right to cancel a programme in the event of insufficient enrolment or any unforeseen circumstances. Programme dates, content, and fee are subject to change without prior notice, students should keep an eye on our website and email notification for programme updates.
- The application fee is a non-refundable and non-transferable one-time fee.
- Students may enrol in more than one programme as long as it does not cause any schedule conflict.
Please refer to the Summer at HKU - Accommodation Webpage .
Social & Cultural Activities Fee
*Fees are non-refundable after your acceptance of the offer. *Payments must be settled online via credit card or ePayment.
Payment Methods - Online credit card payment (Application fee/Programme fee)
Once your application is successful, the online credit card payment will be made available to process payment for your application fee, accommodation fee, and programme fee (if applicable) by the deadline.
- If the credit card information you submit is incomplete or if the credit card payment is unsuccessful, you will not be registered in your course(s). To avoid a delay in the admission process, please make sure your credit card's daily charge limit is sufficient for the total course payment.
- HKU Summer Institute is not responsible for fluctuations in international exchange rates or interest charges due to the timing of credit card charges or refunds.
- A small number of programmes may have specific payment requirements for programme fees. If your application is successful you will receive relevant instructions on fee payment.
*Offers will be issued on a rolling basis after January 31, 2024 , for details, please refer to the respective programme webpage. The successful application will be notified and asked to confirm acceptance by settling the programme fee within 3 calendar days . We will confirm your place only after you have paid in full.
►►► UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMMES :: MATH2101 Linear Algebra I